Knowthyself 28/2019. Wrapping it up for 2019.
As we come to the tail end of year 2019, I take this opportunity to appreciate you for keeping me company on this blog where we focus on Health and Financial wellness. I have shared many articles to encourage us have interest to understand the complex body God gave us the responsibility to take care of.
In 1904, Thomas Edison said the doctor of the future will not give medicine but will interest his patients in the care of the body frame. This future he predicted in now. It start with understanding the body physiology , then the Spiritual, Emotional and other needs. This is why I’ve been running the know thyself articles.
We are losing the battle of life longevity to diseases. In 2017 alone, more than 41 million people in the world died due to Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs). This is equivalent to 71% of all deaths globally. Among NCDs, the four top killers include: cardiovascular diseases (17.9 million deaths annually), cancers (9.0 million), respiratory diseases (3.9 million), and diabetes (1.6 million).
The non-communicable diseases find their way inside our bodies as a result of our lifestyle choices. From the toxic company we keep, the environment we spend most of our time, where and how we sleep, to how we grow the food we eat, and much more that affect our health directly. Cooking food with Trans fats and hydrogenated oils is now overtaking smoking Tobacco to become the leading cause of cancer and other non communicable diseases.
I have been running the know thyself campaign to encourage us to reflect inward. I indulge you to go deeper and seek to know your passions, desires, dreams, your thoughts, feelings, likes and fears, tolerances and limitations. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power-Lao Tzu, Chinese Philosopher.
Man is Gods co-creator. He was given a major role to take care of the universe, but he cannot take care of other creation if he cannot take good care of himself first!
l have shared 27 articles on knowthyself. These have focused on 6 of the 12 body systems in details. We defined the systems, shared how the systems work, the requirements for the systems to work optimally and mentioned the possible challenges to the systems.
Here is a summary of what we have been able to cover this far:
1. Skeletal -The skeletal system comprises bones, cartilage, ligaments and tendons. Its functions include supporting the body, preventing damage to soft tissues, enabling movement and making blood cells.
2. Muscular -The muscular system includes cardiac, skeletal and smooth muscles that enable the body to move, as well as offering support and heat generation. All these are made of muscular tissues.
3. Integumentary-The integumentary organ system includes the hair, nails and skin and acts as a barrier between the interior of the body and the outside world. It protects the body from damage and infiltration by micro-organisms and also keeps the fluids inside the body and helps maintain body temperature. They are made of epithelial tissues.
4. Respiratory -The respiratory system comprises the bronchi, diaphragm, lungs, mouth, nose and throat. This system manages breathing, transporting air to facilitate gaseous exchange.
5. Cardiovascular system includes blood, heart and vascular network. This system moves nutrients and waste products throughout the body and assists with maintaining body temperature and pH.
6. Digestive-The gastrointestinal (Digestive) system enables the body to digest food substances by breaking down food substances into simpler forms that can be utilized by the body’s cells. The digestive tract (alimentary canal) is a continuous tube with two openings: the mouth and the anus.
We have not finished with the digestive system. We will continue with it in January. Keep it here for more helpful information. Come 2020 we will unpack the remaining 5 systems and their constituent organs.
On behalf of Azima, wishing you Merry Christmas and a Happy new year.
With Profound Regards;
Coach Maina Azimio.
ICF- Accredited Certified Professional Coach,
Conference Speaker & Corporate Trainer in Wellness.
Tell: 0704 561 095 or 0722 516 896
Follow on Facebook; @Maina Azimio/ Azima wellness Consultants.
LinkedIn; @Maina Azimio
YouTube; @Maina Azimio.
Or Join the Daily Chats Conversation on Telegram Or Whats App